Mar 29, 2008

Photos from Bozdağ, Konya

Bozdağ region, within the province of Konya is located in Central Anatolia, which is characteristically covered by vast areas of steppe ecosystem. I took the above photo in 2004 inside the Turkish Mouflon Breeding Station. My fieldwork inside the station comprised trekking to search for wolf signs. Photo below was taken during a demonstration of scat collection to the 2004 Field Ecology class.

2004 Field Ecology class brought luck to me and my supervisor Dr. Can Bilgin that we could shoot (without bullets!) 2 wolves with only one -motion triggered- camera trap; a first forTurkey.

My studies in Bozdağ were between 2003 and 2007, however, after we lost all the wolves inside the Turkish Mouflon Breeding Station in 2005, I concentrated on conflict assessment through interviews with the shepherds. In the below photo, a shepherd I interviewed is showing me the sheep that survived the last wolf attack with minor injuries (photo by my father, R.Bora Tuğ).

No comments: